All you need to know about Tooth Decay
Tooth decay is one of the common diseases that affects most people all over the world. This can happen to both the young and old but just common among kids. This is also known as cavities or carries.
Our teeth is made up of a thin white outer covering which is the hardest part of the tooth. The destruction of the enamel of the tooth is known as tooth decay.
This mostly occurs when people have a lot of sweets or sugary stuff. It can also happen as a result of not practicing good oral hygiene. Our teeth is one of the most important organs that helps in digestion.
Symptoms of Tooth Decay
Symptoms of cavities may differ from one person to another depending on how severe it is. These are:
- The early stages can begin with some whitening on the teeth.
- Tooth pain, This can get worse when its cold.
- Your tooth becomes very sensitive.
- Wholes or pits in your teeth
- Brown, black or white staining on any surface of a tooth
- You cant bite anything because of pain.
Causes of Tooth Decay
Cavities occur over time when one does not take oral hygiene seriously. It is important to take good care of the teeth to avoid cavities or carries. Tooth decay can happen to both children and adults. It is mostly common among kids. This can happen for the following reasons:
- Poor Oral Hygiene :Not brushing your teeth routinely enables plaque to develop and assault the tooth finish.
- Bacteria : Our mouth contains a wide range of bacteria which mostly helps in different ways including digestion. Just a few of them can cause cavities or tooth decay when care is not given to the mouth. The bacteria known for causing cavities is known as Streptococcus mutans.
- Plaques : The acids in plaque destroys minerals in your tooth’s hard, external part known as the enamel. This can result in gaps, pits or who;es in the teeth. This acids in the plaque can destroy the enamel and get into the inner layers of the tooth. This can become very painful.
- Not Enough Production Of Saliva: One of the important role saliva plays in the mouth is washing off plaque that is formed on the teeth. People with dry mouth are at higher risk of suffering from plaques.
- Carbohydrates or sweets : Eating too much carbohydrates or sugary products can destroy your tooth causing tooth decay or cavities. Carbohydrates turn to form sugar in our body. Sugar destroys the enamel of the teeth.
Prevention Of Cavities
- Make sure you brush your teeth at least twice a day with a good toothpaste and clean water. First thing in the morning and before going to bed.
- Rinse your mouth with a good mouthwash regularly to avoid plaque formation. Some good ones are Listerine ultra clean arctic mint antiseptic mouthwash, Oral Essentials Mouthwash, and many more.
- Clean between your teeth daily with dental floss. Flossing is very important. This cleans in-between our teeth where the brush cannot always go. Some of these products such as Oral B products, Glide and many more can be of help.
- Avoid sugary foods and carbohydrates. Limit or avoid eating candy or sweets. They are not good for the teeth.
- Visit your dentist regularly for tips and treatments.