Garlic is a plant in the onion family. It is planted and used all over the world but believed to have originated from Siberia.
It has been used for food and medicine for many years. Garlic (Allium Sativum) provides great taste and smell when used to prepare food.
Garlic grows just like onions, in bulbs. A segment of garlic is called a clover.
There are many health benefits we can derived from garlic aside its taste and good smell. It contains useful minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, zinc, calcium, and iron. It also contains minerals like iodine, sulfur, and chlorine.
Health Benefits Of Garlic
- Lowers Cholesterol: Regular intake of garlic helps lower cholesterol in the body. Studies show that,
its consumption reduced total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol and moderately raised HDL cholesterol compared to placebo.
- Helps Boost Heart Health: Regular consumption of garlic helps prevent some heart diseases. This is because garlic helps reduce the clotting of blood in the system and improves blood flow.
- Aids in Digestion: Consuming raw garlic everyday helps clear up most intestinal problems like dysentery, diarrhea, and colitis. This helps improve the digestive system and aids digestion.
- Boost Eyesight: Regular consumption of raw garlic helps improve eyesight. This is because it contains nutrients like selenium, quercetin, and vitamin C, which helps treat eye infections and other inflammations.
- Treat Common Cold: Taking raw garlic helps improve the immune system. A strong immune system prevents the body from sickness and other forms of diseases including cold.
- Helps Prevent Cancer: Research shows that eating raw garlic daily can reduced risk of certain cancers, including cancers of the stomach, colon, esophagus, pancreas, and breast.This is because it contains nutrients that can destruct or destroy the formation cancerous cells.
- Helps Improve The Immune System: It is very important to have a strong and functioning immune system. Regular consumption of raw garlic can help improve the immune system.
Garlic is widely used for food in many parts of the world. This is because of its great taste and smell. It comes in fresh bulb, dry and powder forms.