There are many health benefits we can derive from ginger(root). Ginger is a popular spice used in our homes and restaurants. It has been said to have originated from China and has been used as both food and medicine for many years.
Ginger roots(rhizome) can be used fresh, dried, powdered, or as an oil or juice, and is sometimes added to processed foods and cosmetics. It is a very common ingredient in recipes.
Benefits Of Ginger
Medicinal Purposes :
Ginger is used for many medicinal purposes. Some of these include:
- Treatment of Nausea and Vomiting: Taking ginger regularly can help reduce the risk of nausea or vomiting in pregnant women or people with HIV/AIDS drastically. This has been proven to work over years. People who suffer from morning sickness can use ginger daily to help reduce nausea or vomiting.
- Vertigo (Dizziness) : Taking ginger seems to reduce the symptoms of dizziness just as nausea. You can either slice the roots in a cup of warm water and drink anytime you are thirsty. Some people choose to add honey as a sweetener.
- Weight Loss: If you are trying to lose some extra pounds, ginger can help. Ginger contains antioxidants can help get rid of some toxins and aid digestion. This plays an important role in weight loss. Add ginger to warm water with honey, lemon and cinnamon. This seems to work the magic of weight loss with a little exercise and diet control.
- Menstrual Pain: Ginger has been know to reduce pain during menstruation. Research shows that taking ginger powder 500-2000 mg during the first 3-4 days of a menstrual cycle modestly decreases pain in women and teens with painful menstrual periods.
- Control Alcohol Hangover: When suffering from hangover, take slice of ginger (if you can chew it raw) or drop it in a cup of warm water with lemon and drink. Works just fine.
- Regulates Blood Sugar: Regular use of ginger can help regulate your body’s sugar level. One of the biggest benefits of ginger is its ability to naturally lower cholesterol levels and triglycerides to reduce your risk of heart problems.
There are many other health benefits of ginger. Some of these are:
- Helps improve brain function
- Stomach upset.
- Pain at various joints
- Migraine (Headache)
- Ease inflammation
Ginger has been a very important ingredient in mostly Asian and Indian households for many years. Now, It is commonly used worldwide for cooking. It is available in many forms. Fresh, dried, pickled, preserved, crystallized (or candied), and powdered or ground.
It is used to season or meat. It also gives great taste and flavour to food.
Ginger is also used for drinks, soup and other products. Even some biscuits or cookies use ginger.
In all. There are many benefits we can get from ginger. It might not agree with everyone since our systems are different but it is not advisable to abuse it when pregnant and it can sometimes cause heartburns.