Common cold as we all know is a viral infection that affects the nose and the throat. This causes the inflammation of the mucus membrane of the respiratory tract.
Cold might not be a serious sickness but can really make your day a stressful one. Mostly, people recover from cold within 7 to 10 days.
causes of the common cold
Research shows there are over 100 different types of virus that can lead to the flu. One mostly develops cold when their immune system is weak to fight some of these viruses.
Common cold or flu can take over your body when you are :
a) Stressed more often
b) Lack of rest
c) Allergic reactions can also trigger cold or the flu
d) Too much sugar intake
e) Some people catch cold
f) Diet can also be one of the things that can trigger cold.
Many other factors can cause or trigger the flu depending on your situation.
symptoms of common cold
Symptoms of flu mostly start to occur within 1 to 3 days after exposure and this varies from one person to the other. These are:
- Runny nose
- Throat irritations
- watery eyes
- Loss of appetite
Remedies or treatment of Common cold
Take a break from work and all activities. When suffering from cold. the best thing to do is to have a warm clean bath and have some rest. Its another way of your body telling you to have some rest since it can be triggered by fatigue.
Drink warm fluids. This could be water, smoothie or soup. Avoid taking sugary foods or soda.
Avoid taking cold things. Warm your food or any drink a little before you take.
Gargle some warm water at least 3 times a day to help relieve cold. Add some salt to warm water and gargle a few times in the day when you have difficulty breathing.
prevention of the flu
Cold or the flu might not be a harmless infection but can make your day an unbearable one. Its best to prevent common cold than trying to cure it afterward.
- Keep yourself clean: Keep your clothes and body clean most of the times. Wash your hands regularly with soap and water under clean running water.
- Make sure you have enough rest more often to help the body function at its best. Good sleep is needed for the body and mind.
- Eat well. Having a regular balanced meal will help the body to grow well and develop a strong immune system that can help fight more infections.
- Reduce the amount of sugar you take and drink more water to help flush more toxins out of your body.
- For allergic people, it’s best to keep track of what triggers your allergy in order to avoid getting cold.
When cold gets worse, you can visit your doctor for a check-up.