It is important to wash our hands regularly to prevent many forms of diseases.
We pick up germs and other micro-organisms into our body everyday in our lives. When we touch people, objects or visit the toilet, we pick up germs our eyes cannot see.
This is why it is very important to wash our hands more often with soap and under clean running water.
When To Wash Your Hands
- Always remember to wash your hands before eating
- wash your hands with soap and water after visiting the toilet
- Wash hands when preparing food
- Wash your hands after working with tools
- Remember to wash your hands after visiting the hospital or any health facility. This is very important because we can pick up many different diseases from the hospital.
- Remember to wash your hands after doing some house chores such as taking out the trash or cleaning the house.
- After changing diapers, you need to wash your hands with soap and water.
- Also, wash hands after touching animals.
Ways To Wash Your Hands Clean
There are two main ways to wash your hand effectively.
- With soap and under clean running water:
This is the most common and very effective ways of washing hands. The steps are as follows.
- Wet your hands with clean running water
- Apply soap to your wet hands. This could be liquid, bar or powder form.
- Rub your hands vigorously for at least 15 to 20 seconds. Make sure you rub your fingers in-between each other and the back of your hands.
- Rinse your hands well under clean running water.
- Dry your hands using clean dry towel or air dry.
- Alcohol Rub Method/ Hand Sanitizer:
Alcohol rub method is mostly used as an alternative. It is mostly used in hospitals or clinics. Even though this is can reduce the amount of germs, its not quite as effective as the water and soap method. This is because some germs can still survive alcohol.
- Pour gel or sanitizer into your palm.
- Rub vigorously for about 20 seconds and make sure you rub in-between your fingers and behind your palm till it dries.
Hand Sanitizer or Gel
Keep your hands clean to help avoid taking in germs and other diseases.